|Approximate total Project budget in EUR:||2 197 388.00|
|ERDF co-financing in EUR:||1 867 779.80|
|Project Duration:||03/2009 - 09/2011|
|Priority:||Attractive Living Environment and Development of Sustainable Community|
|Direction:||2. Increasing the Attractiveness of the Border Region|
Kupiskis and Rezekne districts suffer from similar socio-economic problems: depopulation, unemployment and low economic activity even through both districts are rich in cultural and natural, especially water, resources they are not considered as attractive tourist destinations. Therefore, tourism sector has been chosen as intervention area of the project.
This project is based on the outputs of the Interreg IIIA project implemented in 2006-2008 when a common water tourism development strategy and technical documentation for Water Tourism Development Station at Luban Lake was prepared.
Implementing the project Kupiskis and Rezekne Municipalities will follow the developed strategy and will work together in order to develope tourism and recreation infrastructure at Kupiskis Lagoon and Luban Lake and present community-based tourism concept and raising the human capacity of local communities.
It is expected that as a result of cleaning campaigns, workshops, consultations, seminars and experience exchange visits local communities of both areas (including decision-makers, NGOs and enterpreneurs) will acquire knowledge and skills that will facilitate effective management of environmental resources and tourism-related services development.
Improved recreational infrastructure at Kupiskis Lagoon and Luban Lake with access roads, sandy beaches, playing grounds and other facilities will increase attractiveness of both recreational territories. It is also planned to participate in the Blue Flag program that is an eco-label award to sustainably developed, safe and good quality beaches.
- At the begining of the project partnership contract between Kupiskis (Lithuania) and Rezekne (Latvia) was subscribed.
- Cleaning compaigns in Rezekne (Latvia) involved 51 volunteer and 103 volunteerin Kupiskis (Lithuania) that were members of communities, pupils, reprezentatives of the project partners municipalities, members of District Councils, local business mans and other participated in the cleaning compaigns. Volunteers were cleaning 8 areas around the Kupiskis Lagoon and the area where Water Tourism Centre at Luban Lake will be created.
- Kupiskis District Municipality Administration organized the public procurement of the improvement of 8 recreational teritories aroud Kupiskis Lagoon, of the preparation of technical project for a bicycle road around Kupiskis Lagoon, of the purchase of baywatching equipment.
- 3 one-day workshops on the following topics were organized in Kupiskis: 1) 14 January 2010, Sustainable water tourism (including Blue Flag) - 23 participants, 2 external experts; 2) 16 December 2009, Bicycle tourism and ecotourism - 22 participants, 2 external experts; 3) 4 March 2010. Cultural heritage tourism (including crafts and other intangible heritage) in Kupiskis - 20 participants, 2 external experts.
- 1st issue of the project's newsletter published (4 pages, 1500 copies) in Lithuanian and distributed at schools, libraries and at other places.
- Construction works of the Water Tourism Centre at Luban Lake (Rezekne, LV) are continuing.
More information about the project: